What are three ways that media access control is used in networking? (Choose three.)
- Ethernet utilizes CSMA/CD.
- Media access control provides placement of data frames onto the media.
- Contention-based access is also known as deterministic.
- 802.11 utilizes CSMA/CD.
- Data link layer protocols define the rules for access to different media.
- Networks with controlled access have reduced performance due to data collisions.
Answers Explanation & Hints:
Wired Ethernet networks use CSMA/CD for media access control. IEEE 802.11 wireless networks use CSMA/CA, a similar method. Media access control defines the way data frames get placed on the media. The controlled access method is deterministic, not a contention-based access to networks. Because each device has its own time to use the medium, controlled access networks such as legacy Token Ring do not have collisions.